We use cookies to enhance your experience, for analytics and to show you offers tailored to your interests on our site and third party sites. We may share your information with our advertising and analytic partners. Find out more about cookies by reading our Privacy Policy. By clicking “Accept,” you agree to our use of cookies and similar technologies.

Move Your Pet European Union

Leave the details to us!

Moving to the European Union? Pet import into EU member states is now easier than ever, whether your pet is going for the first time or returning home.

After you move:

Please register with a local veterinarian to keep your pet's rabies vaccination up to date. Veterinarians typically send reminder notices when vaccinations are due. If another move is in your future, you and your pet will be ready.

Air Animal knows and understands the sequence of pet import requirements. We'll take care of all the details including which ID microchip to use, timing the rabies vaccination, issuing the EU Pet Travel Certificate, and arranging for the accredited veterinarian. Pet moving made easy ®. That's our focus, our passion and our promise.

Four easy steps to follow when planning a pet move to the European Union:

Pets entering the EU are required to arrive within five days of their owners or authorized agent - if not, additional fees may apply. To avoid delays and unexpected short-term quarantine, we follow these four steps in this order:

  1. Microchip the pet for identification purposes with a 15-digit chip
  2. Certify a current rabies vaccination. If your pet enters the UK with a current 3-year rabies vaccination which is more than one year old, then additional documentation will be required. Please inquire for details.
  3. At least 21 days after the most recent rabies vaccination, book an appointment with your veterinarian to issue an international pet health certificate. Your veterinary appointment for the international health certificate must be within 10 days of flight arrival in the EU.
  4. The next step is USDA export endorsement.

Implanting second chip approved by USDA

If your dog has a non-ISO microchip, you may wish to consider implanting a 15-digit microchip. Please check the USDA website: for details and options.

Countries with an asterisk (*) require additional veterinary procedures such as internal parasite treatment or FAVN-OIE: